Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Three Trees (PAD Prompt)


 I know of a quiet place,
a solitary place deep within the city.
Carpet of ivy
trimmed around with small wildflowers
where three trees stand
holding up the ceiling
with great branches
sheltering from sun and rain with leaves
layered one over another.
The three trees carry stories of lovers
initials carved,
some in hearts.
Full names by the bold ones
who took the time to use their knives
a little longer,
declaring eternal love
yet not getting caught.
Initials hearts names
yet now
the trees have healed from the wounds
and the scars tell stories.
They stand tall
proud of their message:
Love reigns.
The trees are a wonder to me, and I
ask them,
Did it hurt when they used their knives to scar you,
to draw sap as they announced and pledged?
But as I circle the trees,
touching the bark,
words, letters
I know I want to bring you here
and have you carve our names within a heart
for those who find this place to see
a memorial to our love
on one of these beautiful trees
holding up the ceiling
with great branches
sheltering from sun and rain with leaves
layered one over another.



No comments:

Post a Comment